Sunday, January 24, 2010

Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception

I'm just back from the National March for Life.  It was the largest March for Life yet.  More on that in a later post. 

I took the opportunity of being in Washington to finally visit the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.  I should not have waited so long.  The architecture is breathtaking.  The altars devoted to the various devotions to Our Lady are moving.  The church was crowded with tourists yet they were quieted by awe.  Sincere praying could be done without disturbance.  Masses are being said on the Crypt level at almost every hour.  Confessions were being heard all day.  My visit touched me at a deep emotional level -- Our Lady working in my life, I guess.  This is religious architecture done right; providing awe, inspiration, and reverence. 

If you have not yet made a visit to our National Shrine-- it is America’s Catholic church, make one soon.  You will be rewarded beyond expecations.  I will shortly post pictures of the Basilica and the March; none of which do justice to the place or the event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Representative democracy is predicated upon civil and honest discourse. Any comments displaying ad hominum attacks, improper language, bias, or harsh rhetoric will be removed.